Will Chernoff here: thank you for taking interest in Rhythm Changes.
What I do
Rhythm Changes is best known as the go-to place online for the Vancouver jazz scene. Currently, I'm the sole author and I make 3 things that you can pitch to:
- the gig list: a comprehensive list of this month's jazz gigs in Metro Vancouver
- the free weekly article: delivered by email, a new Canadian jazz album review plus this week's gigs from the list. The reviews also publish to the web
- the Rhythm Changes Podcast: the only weekly interview podcast about jazz and creative music in Canada (Wednesdays)
I also make the Update, which doesn't accept pitches.
I cover these 3 territories, in this order of priority:
- Metro Vancouver
- British Columbia
How to reach out
Please send all pitches to my email, will at rhythmchanges dot ca, and aim for a lead time of four-to-eight-weeks.
The required materials, where applicable, are:
- your artist name
- release title
- release date
- a link to download the audio (mp3 is best), the music's cover image, and at least one photo of you (for bands, group photos are best).
Optional materials include
- press release
- pre-save / pre-order link
- streaming option for the audio
You can let me know any accessibility needs when you contact me.
What happens next
I have less than 100 spots available for pitches in a full year, split between podcast episodes and free weekly articles. That's only about 8 total spots per month. Therefore, I often decline.
You can expect a response from me within 48 hours (see my schedule for exceptions). I aspire to be the easiest blogger for you to work with, so feel free to follow up with me.
FAQs for artists
What do I write in the email subject line?
Including your artist name, release date, and release title in the subject line is a big help.
What do I write in the body of the email?
You don't need much, especially once you've covered all the required materials. Whatever you like!
Do you cover singles?
It's rare; I usually cover albums. However, you can still pitch a single. Maybe that single will lead me to cover the album later.
Do you do music premieres (publishing pre-release)?
No: I only publish after the music has released.
I'm uncomfortable following-up
You are always welcome to follow-up with me when I don't respond to you for several days!